Rising Sun > Procedures > Health Insurance > National Health Insurance in Japan

National Health Insurance in Japan (Kokumin Kenko Hoken)

Every foreign national who stay in Japan more than one year have to have the Kokumin Kenko Hoken when they arrive in Japan. But, you can fill out the Kokumin Kenko Hoken when you prove to stay over one year even if your visa has the right to stay less than on year. However, temporary visitor's visa holder can't have the Kokumin Kenko Hoken.

Anyway, if you have the chance to have Kokumin Kenko Hoken, please get the insurance after you obtain your Alien Registration Card. Because, you would be required to pay only 20 - 30 percent of your total medical costs at any hospitals and doctors in Japan by your Kokumin Kenko Hoken.

When you fill out the Kokumin Kenko Hoken, you have to go the municipal office in your area of residency that you applied your Alien Registration Card with your Alien Registration Card. If you stay in Japan with your family, your family also can get the Kokumin Kenko Hoken. Your premium of Kokumin Kenko Hoken depends on your area of residency, so please ask the premium.

But, in below cases, the patient would be required to pay the difference in cost.

  • The bed charge of a private room in a hospital.
  • The prices of medicine, which are very expensive and unique and unapproved.
  • Special dental care.
  • Birth, artificial abortion

And this page is written about Jobs in Japan.

Alien Registration in Japan
Alien Registration is the most important things at the very beginning for people who plan long term staying in Japan.